Yesterday, we saw the new Star Trek movie in iMax 3D. I’m a pretty hard sell on going to the movies these days, but I do love a good space film, and the acting skills of Benedict Cumberbatch (can’t wait for new Sherlock). Plus, the iMax theatre we go to also happens to be a furniture store, and the seats are made of the temper-pedic bed material. I don’t know about you guys, but that’s a serious plus for me. I’m definitely one of those people whose butt falls asleep about 45 mins into a movie and then has to shift around uncomfortably to find a better position.
Anyway, I really enjoyed the movie, though I think I might have enjoyed it better not in iMax. J.J. Abrams might like his super close-ups, but I do not need to see every pore on Chris Pine’s face, multiple times. It just made me squirm a little.
However, the action was great, and I was quite entertained, so overall, I’d rate the experience highly and would absolutely recommend the movie to anyone, Star Trek fan or not. (Honestly, I’m much more of a Star Wars person.)
But let’s not talk about new Star Wars movies. I’m not sure I can put my faith in Disney. So let’s stick to something we can put faith in—easy dinners that are fun to make and come together quickly.
I’ve started making lasagna with egg roll wrappers (why didn’t I think of it sooner!) and so one day, I found myself with a half-used box of lasagna noodles and wanted to use them up, without cutting them up to make a regular pasta dish.
Enter the lasagna roll-up. You cook the noodles, spread them out, cover with filling, roll them up and bake! Plus I adore the flavors here: shredded chicken, ricotta and pesto. And the cheese. Can’t forget that cheese. It makes Mondays just a little more tolerable.
One Year Ago: Jalapeño Cheddar Bagels
- 1 Tbsp unsalted butter
- 1 Tbsp all-purpose flour
- 1 cup milk (I used 1%)
- 1 cup shredded chicken (or cubed pre-cooked chicken)
- 2 cups ricotta cheese (I used low fat)
- 1/3 cup pesto (I used a traditional basil pesto here, but feel free to improvise)
- 1 cup shredded cheese, divided (I used Monterey Jack)
- 6 whole lasagna noodles, cooked and drained
- 1 cup marinara sauce
- Preheat oven to 375 F.
- Place butter in a medium saucepan and set over medium-low heat. Once it melts, add in the flour, whisking to combine. Cook for one minute, or until lightly golden brown. Gradually add the milk, whisking constantly to get rid of lumps. Raise the heat to medium-high, and continue cooking, whisking frequently, until the sauce has thickened. Season to taste with salt and pepper, then remove from the heat. Add 1/4 cup of the white sauce to the bottom of an 8x8” baking pan and spread in an even layer with a spatula.
- In a medium bowl, combine the chicken, ricotta, pesto, and 1/4 cup of the mozzarella together and stir to combine; season with salt and pepper. Working with one lasagna noodle at a time, place a heaping 1/3 cup of the filling on the noodle with a large spoon and spread to cover. Roll the noodle up, then place in the baking pan seam side down. Repeat with the remaining noodles and filling.
- Pour the remaining white sauce over the lasagna rolls, then top them with the marinara sauce. Sprinkle the remaining cheese over the rolls. Bake for 25-30 minutes, or until the cheese has browned and the sauce is bubbling around the edges of the pan. Let cool for 5-10 mins, then serve!
Adapted from Tracey’s Culinary Adventures