Ever have a day that makes you want to collapse on your bed/couch/floor the minute you get home? Yesterday was one of those days for me. What was the cause of this horrific day, you ask? Well, even if you weren’t asking, I’m going to tell you anyway. It all started with an oil change.
A simple oil change, or so I thought. Sometimes I feel like going to the mechanic is like taking a loved one to the doctor. After an examination has been completed, the mechanic comes out to tell you what he’s found. He sits in the chair next you with his clipboard, uses jargon you don’t really understand, delivering his bad news apologetically.
My baby…I mean car, had an oil leak, the exhaust pipe was at the end of its life, and my tires were badly worn, to the point where one had started cracking. But what can one do in a situation like that? The repairs must be made.
Four hours later. I am starving, unable to concentrate on the book I brought because of hunger, so I stare reproachfully at everything and everyone, showing my disdain at how long I have been sitting in an uncomfortable chair.
My car is in much better shape now (it runs so quietly with its new exhaust pipe) so thankfully there was an upside to the day. I only wish that I had the forethought to grab a biscuit on the way out. At least I remembered to grab a book.
These biscuits are soft, tender and super yummy. I especially like how some pieces of cheese don’t melt away into the biscuit dough, and you find these little cheese pockets during your noshing. It’s wonderful.
- FOR THE BISCUITS:
- 1 ½ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 ½ cups whole wheat flour (or more all-purpose)
- ½ tsp sugar
- 4 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 ½ sticks (3/4 cup) cold unsalted butter, cut into pieces
- 1 ¼ cups milk
- 6 ounces freshly grated mozzarella cheese (or cheddar)
- FOR THE EVERYTHING TOPPING:
- 2 Tbsp melted butter
- ½ Tbsp dried minced onion
- ½ Tbsp sesame seeds
- ½ Tbsp poppy seeds
- 1 tsp dried minced garlic
- 1 tsp ground sea salt.
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Mix dried onion, garlic, sea salt, poppy seeds and sesame seeds together in a small bowl and set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine flour, sugar, salt, baking powder and soda, and whisk until combined. Using a fork, pastry blender or your hands, add butter pieces to the flour and mix until coarse little crumbles remain. Add in cheese. Pour in milk and stir with a spoon until just combined; do not overmix. Use your hands if needed to bring the dough together, it might be easier.
- Use a large spoon to drop batter onto a baking sheet lined with parchment paper or a silicone mat, then use a biscuit cutter to shape the dough into rounds. (I didn’t bother with this step, since I like the look of drop biscuits.) Brush with melted butter, then sprinkle each biscuit with the everything topping. Bake for 10-12 minutes, or until biscuits are golden brown.
Adapted from How Sweet Eats