Though the snow banks at the end of our driveway have melted into large puddles, and we can now park our cars side by side again, March never feels like spring to me.
Which isn’t necessarily a bad thing. Winter and autumn have long been my favorite seasons, a time for warm, comforting meals and rich, sinful desserts. So when March comes, and people breathe a sigh of relief for slightly warmer temperatures (boo, no more snow days) I let out a sigh of exasperated inevitability. Soon it will be time for me to pack up my “Let it Snow” pillow.
But at least I can keep the flavors of winter alive for just a little bit longer. I’m a yogurt lover, and am always looking for different ways to season my morning bowlful. This granola encapsulates holiday cheer with its bright, spicy ginger and deep, lush chocolate.
One Year Ago: Cream Cheese Stuffed Carrot Cake Muffins
- 2 cups old fashioned oats
- 1/4 cup ground flaxseed
- 2 Tbsp whole flaxseeds
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup honey
- 1/3 cup molasses
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- 1/4 tsp ground cloves
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips, chopped
- 1 cup dried cranberries or raisins
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- In a large bowl, combine oats, ground flax, flaxseeds, chocolate and salt. In a small bowl, combine cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger, and cloves, and stir to combine. Pour spices into the bowl of oats and mix well. In another small bowl, mix honey, molasses and vanilla. Add honey mixture to oat mixture and stir until moistened. If your granola seems too dry, you can add honey 1 tsp at a time until the mixture is moist.
- Spread the mixture on a lined or greased baking sheet and bake for 20 minutes, tossing every 5 minutes or so, until golden brown and toasty. Make sure to check on the granola frequently at the 15 min mark so that it doesn’t burn. Remove from oven and stir in dried fruit. Let cool completely, then crumble it up and store in an air tight container. The granola will stay good for up to 2 weeks.
Adapted from How Sweet Eats