Happy Hop Day! I’ll be at school forever today thanks to our final round of parent-teacher-student conferences, so I could use this little piece of cute-spiration. Also, I posted another bunny video on Bashful Bao’s facebook page! I highly recommend you check it out, it’s pretty darn adorable.
As I mentioned in my last post, this past weekend has been the first that has felt like spring, temperature-wise. On the second floor of our house however, things were beginning to feel more like summer, and we were getting worried.
Why was it so freaking hot on the second floor?!? And then we realized (after I asked Luke where our second electric fan was) the insulating cover over the attic stairs was still in place…oops. I guess it was keeping all that rising hot air firmly on the second floor instead of letting it dissipate. In my defense, and it’s not such a good one since I had a similar type of attic growing up, I’ve never been in charge of removing the attic insulating cover.
So while the second floor was a sauna, I decided to cool things down (yes, I’m still in cold weather mode for dinners, but am so ready for summertime desserts) and made cheesecake bars. Yes, they do require oven time, but nothing beats that first bite into a luscious, chocolate, cookie dough laced piece of cheesecake.
That also happens to be laced with mini peanut butter cups. I was worried that the multiple layers would be too complex for my taste buds to properly sort out, but thankfully this was not the case. It all melded together beautifully into one heck of a cheesecake bar.
One Year Ago:Beef Stroganoff
- FOR THE COOKIE DOUGH LAYER:
- ½ cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, melted
- ½ cup brown sugar
- 1 large egg
- ½ tsp vanilla
- ¾ cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup mini chocolate chips + 1/2 cup for topping
- 1 cup mini peanut butter cups or roughly chopped larger pb cups
- FOR THE CHEESECAKE LAYER:
- 8 oz cream cheese, softened
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 tsp vanilla
- Grease an 8x8” baking dish and set aside. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- First make the cookie dough layer. Melt the butter in a medium saucepan and set aside to cool. Add in the brown sugar and mix to combine. Add in the egg and vanilla extract and mix to combine. Add in flour and fold to combine. Finally, add in 1 cup of the mini chocolate chips and fold to combine evenly. Set aside while you make the cheesecake layer.
- In a medium bowl, combine cream cheese, sugar, egg and vanilla. Mix until thoroughly combined and smooth.
- Press 3/4 of cookie dough evenly into the bottom of the pan. Place the peanut butter cups on top of cookie dough in rows. Pour cheesecake mixture over top and spread so it covers the cookie dough evenly. Crumble the remaining cookie dough and sprinkle on top of cheesecake layer, then sprinkle the remaining 1/2 cup of chocolate chips over top.
- Bake for 30-40 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the middle comes out clean. Remove from oven set on wire rack to cool. Once cooled to room temperature, transfer to the fridge to let the bars cool completely, then slice and serve! Store extras in an air tight container in the fridge for up to 5 days.
Adapted from Baker’s Royale